Download: 2013 State, Community, and Congressional District Well-Being Rankings
- Guest blogger Dr. John Anderson has an idea about what the "central tendon" of the healthcare industry really is.
- If you understand just how important #wellbeing is to your organization's success, you need a good way to measure it.
- Way to go @DeanOrnishMD! #ALSchallenge http://t.co/lEnMryzzWK
- RT @DaveRamsey: Join us on our online TV show at 3pm CT Tomorrow for Live on air #ALSchallenge EPIC answer from me! http://t.co/M1mz6go4JW
- Thanks @JosephCoughlin, @Healthways nominates @DeanOrnishMD @BlueZones and @DaveRamsey #alsicebucketchallenge http://t.co/Yj4w6bH5BS
- Infographic: More Americans Now Have Health Insurance, New Gallup Data Shows http://t.co/HyDvXgfrWo
- Did you hear Dan Witters of @Gallup on @NPR yesterday discussing the falling rate of uninsured Americans? http://t.co/An4tpVCzXz
- Urban Institute reports that 35% of Americans have a debt in collection and owe an average of $5,200. @urbaninstitute http://t.co/reyV70uHSN
- @WSJ reports more Americans are insured & seeking treatment. Findings from July's @Gallup webinar corroborated.
- Even if you have a chronic disease, improving your #wellbeing can make you more productive at work, new study shows. http://t.co/c3cdFqqsEX
- Guest blogger Dr. John Anderson has an idea about what the "central tendon" of the healthcare industry really is. http://t.co/zAAls149Md
July 24, 2012
We often look at the beginning of the year as a starting point for new well-being goals. Maybe you were one of many who made such a resolution, or maybe not. Either way, this might be a great point to stop and think about it as we continue in the second half of 2012. Read on to learn why.
Where are you?
Maybe you are going strong in your resolution, never had interest in setting one, or are somewhere in between and need a boost of motivation. Wherever you are, you might be interested to know that research presents us with a great wellness opportunity for the second half of the year.
What the trends show
According to the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index,® Americans on average experience a decline in healthy behaviors and physical health in the second half of the year. We can all probably name factors that influence the lack of steadiness. The well-known truth is that resolutions aren’t always easy to keep all on our own and momentum can easily fade.
What we can do about it
Well, knowledge is power. So now that we’re aware that the U.S. as a whole could be near a high point for the year in healthy behaviors and physical wellness, we can look at this as an opportunity to do something to prevent a decline. If we all make simple, positive changes, perhaps we can even reach new highs in our individual well-being all throughout the year. Think about how it would feel for you personally and what it would mean for your organization as a whole. Below are a couple ideas that could help.
- A simple way to get started could be making one tangible well-being improvement goal for the next 30 days, and listing some related action steps. You can do anything for 30 days, right? At the end of 30 days, evaluate your progress, and then decide if you want to continue with that goal or switch to a new one. Make sure to write down your goal, find some resources to support it, track your progress, and for best results, enlist an accountability partner (or your whole organization). By continually introducing new ideas and evaluating your progress, healthy behaviors can become habit, and therefore more of a lifestyle.
- Take it a step further and use Healthways as your source for scientific research and proven programs filled with a breadth of resources, tools and support. We can help identifying the unique needs of your organization, create and sustain effective engagement with individual members, and drive positive behavior change that delivers measurable outcomes for the long term. Read about our approach and our solution to learn more, or contact us.
Just a few of the programs that make up our configurable Well-Being Improvement Solution include:
- The Healthways Well-Being Assessment™, personal Well-Being Plans online and Health Coaching over the phone
- Prime® Fitness for access to more than 9,000 fitness centers
- Innergy™ for sustainable weight management
- QuitNet® for quitting tobacco
- SilverSneakers® to help seniors boost physical and social activity
If you’re currently a member of a Healthways Well-Being Improvement Solution, you and your colleagues may already be enjoying the benefits of improved physical, mental and social well-being, as well as the financial benefits such as lower healthcare costs and fewer sick days. Maybe you want to take your program even further or get your whole community involved in an initiative, like our BlueZones Project™. Talk with your benefits manager or with us here at Healthways for strategic input.
Let’s all partner together for the greatest well-being improvement—for the second half of 2012 and for the long term.